Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mongolian BBQ

Well, I pretty much love Mongolian BBQ joints so I had to try and recreate a yummy sauce with all my favorite fixin's so I threw a few things together and I think I may have come pretty close. Of course I didn't get to hand my bowl to someone that threw it onto the giant flat cooking thing and walk around and around stirring it and tossing it. Is that not the coolest part? Although for them it probably really sucks cause it's swealteringly hot in there! But that's why you tip them.

I digress-So last night I made Mongolian BBQ with rice and it was tasty! I sort of followed pioneer woman a bit, but made some tweeks to it.


I used onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, baby corn, and sugar peas (they really added some color to the otherwise bland picture). Oh, and I used shrimp. That was yummy!

So I started out by cutting all the veggies up. It makes it way easier to just throw it all in. Here we go:

Monglian BBQ

  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 carton mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • sprinkle of ginger (I used jar, but I am sure fresh is better)
  • 1 regualr can baby corn, chopped
  • couple handfuls of sugar snap peas, whole
  • 1/2-1 pound shrimp-marinade in soy sauce and sesame oil drizzled over the top no more than 20 minutes ahead. It gets mushy if you marinade too long. And I had precooked shrimp so really they were just thrown in at the end to be warmed up
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 T sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth (any broth will do but I'm on a mission!)
  • 2-3 Tablespoons peanut oil
  • Splash of rice vinegar
  • 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped (you can use more or less, but this adds a taste that you cannot leave out!)
  • chopped peanuts

Heat up your skillet on high heat with 2 Tablespoons peanut oil. Throw in your onion and garlic and when almost brown add bell pepper. Stir around a bit then add mushrooms, baby corn and sugar snap peas. Give it a few good stirs. Now you are thinking it is really dry so let's sauce it up a bit. Add in the soy sauce and sugar and give it a good stir coating all the veggies. Then add the broth and rice vinegar. Reduce the heat and let it boil on low for about 10 minutes. This was when I added in my already cooked shrimp. Remove from heat and right before serving stir in the cilantro. You can even add chopped peanuts to the top and you will be in heaven!

I served it over cooked brown rice, but you could use whatever tickles your fancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment