Friday, July 10, 2009

Homemade Beans

Oh man do I love some home cooked refried beans!! And if you've ever had them (not mine in particular, just someones) then you always wonder what the heck is in the canned stuff!! The color just isn't right, the texture is really wierd and the flavor isn't even close. So I made a batch of my very own the other day and they were so delicious!

Homemade Pinto Beans

  • 1 pound dry pinto bean
  • baking soda (1/2 Tablespoon)
  • water (lots and lots)-I'll explain
  • spices of your choice (I used garlic, onion and cilantro)

So you can either soak them overnight (which is best, but I can't ever remember so I go with the quick soak method). Put all the beans in a 5 quart pot (make sure you look through them and take out all the wierd ones and rocks and stuff) and cover with water and inch over the beans. Bring to a boil and do so for 4 minutes. Add a little baking soda to them (takes the "gas" out-if you know what I mean-beans beans, the magical fruit, the more you eat the more you...oh you get the idea). Turn heat off and let sit covered for about 2 hours (oh don't you roll your eyes. Like you have to do anything while they are just sitting there!). Then about 2 hours before you want to eat them drain them, rinse them and then fill the pot again about an inch or two above the beans. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium/medium low and leave the cover tilted to vent. Mash with a masher thingy (see photo) or use a blender. Add the spices you ever so desire and devour!

We also had these yummiest homemade tortillas. I didn't make them but they are packaged uncooked so you just throw it on a skillet for a 1/2 minute and voila! They are so yummy and thin, so you aren't filling up on flour paste-you can eat more beans! They are really light and they are super delicious. I found these at Wal-mart (evil store) in the refrigerated section (like by the refrig bagels and rolls and stuff) but I also just saw them at Costco too. Sorry all my Wyoming pals. You loose out there.

Check out your local super market and see if they carry them. They are worth the hunt to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment