Monday, August 30, 2010

Black Bean Soup

I think fall is right around the corner. This is hard for me to say because it is 88 degrees outside. I am not used to these temperatures in the south, but I think that is a mild temperature for Louisiana this time of year. I even saw a few yellow leaves of the trees in our backyard. Hard to believe, but I suppose it's true. Anyway, I thought I would celebrate this sudden drop in temperature by making SOUP! It speaks to me. It says autumn and rain and leaves changing colors and putting on a sweatshirt and all kinds of other things, but yesturday it said, "Im easy!"

Black Bean Soup
  • 1 Cup jarred fresh tomato salsa (plus extra for garnish)-I make my own pico de gallo. Well worth a little extra effort.
  • 2 15 oz. cans of black beans (I stick with my low sodium), drained and rinsed
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • sour cream for garnish
  • 1 lime
  • Dry sherry (optional but a nice flavor if you have it in the pantry)
  • tortillas (optional)

Heat the salsa in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the beans and broth, then heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Mash up the beans with a potato masher or a hand blender that you have just stick right in the pot. Dish out into bowls and add a splash of sherry and give it a stir. Top with sour cream, salsa and a squeeze of lime. Add a tortilla for dipping if that's what you're into. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment